Mummy Makeover is a term used to describe a variety of cosmetic surgery procedures that help women regain their pre-pregnancy bodies. It typically includes a combination of breast augmentation, tummy tuck, and liposuction. Many women choose to get a Mummy Makeover to address the physical changes that occur during pregnancy and childbirth, such as stretched abdominal muscles, sagging breasts, and stubborn fat deposits.
In recent years, Mummy Makeover procedures have become increasingly popular as more and more women seek to restore their bodies after having children. However, it is important to note that these procedures are not a weight loss solution and should only be pursued after careful consideration of the risks and benefits involved.
What is included in a Mummy Makeover?
A Mummy Makeover typically includes a combination of surgical procedures that are designed to address the changes that occur during pregnancy and childbirth. The most common procedures included in a Mummy Makeover are:
- Breast augmentation: This procedure involves the placement of breast implants to enhance breast size, shape, and symmetry.
- Tummy tuck: This procedure is designed to remove excess skin and fat from the abdominal area and tighten the underlying muscles for a smoother, flatter midsection.
- Liposuction: This procedure is used to remove stubborn fat deposits from various areas of the body, including the abdomen, hips, thighs, and arms.
- Breast lift: This procedure is designed to lift and reshape sagging breasts, improving breast symmetry and firmness.
Not all Mummy Makeovers are the same, and each procedure is customized to meet the specific needs of the patient. A consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon is essential to determine the best treatment plan for each individual patient.
Who is a good candidate for a Mummy Makeover?
Mummy Makeover procedures are recommended for women who have completed their family planning and are looking to restore their pre-pregnancy bodies. However, not all women are good candidates for these procedures.
Here are some factors that make a woman a good candidate for a Mummy Makeover:
- Physical health: Candidates should be in good overall health with no underlying medical conditions that could increase the risk of complications during or after surgery.
- Non-smokers: Smoking can increase the risk of complications during and after surgery, so candidates should be non-smokers or willing to quit smoking for a period before and after the procedure.
- Stable weight: Candidates should be close to their ideal weight and have maintained a stable weight for at least six months prior to surgery.
- Realistic expectations: Candidates should have realistic expectations about the outcome of the procedure and understand that the goal is improvement, not perfection.
- Understanding of the risks and benefits: Candidates should be aware of the risks and benefits associated with the procedure and be willing to follow all pre- and post-operative instructions.
A consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon is essential to determine whether a candidate is a good fit for a Mummy Makeover.
What to expect during the consultation?
During the consultation for a Mummy Makeover, the plastic surgeon will evaluate the patient’s overall health and medical history, assess the areas of concern, and discuss the patient’s goals for the procedure.
Here are some things to expect during the consultation:
- Medical evaluation: The plastic surgeon will review the patient’s medical history, current medications, and any underlying medical conditions that could affect the outcome of the procedure.
- Physical evaluation: The plastic surgeon will perform a physical evaluation of the areas of concern, taking measurements and noting any asymmetries or other issues that may affect the surgery.
- Discussion of goals and expectations: The plastic surgeon will discuss the patient’s goals for the procedure and help the patient set realistic expectations for the outcome.
- Treatment options: The plastic surgeon will explain the surgical options available and recommend a treatment plan that is tailored to the patient’s needs and goals.
- Risks and benefits: The plastic surgeon will explain the risks and benefits of the procedure, as well as any potential complications that may arise.
- Pre- and post-operative instructions: The plastic surgeon will provide detailed instructions for preparing for the procedure, as well as what to expect during the recovery period.
By the end of the consultation, the patient should have a clear understanding of the procedure, what to expect, and whether they are a good candidate for a Mummy Makeover.
What to expect on the day of surgery?
On the day of the Mummy Makeover procedure, the patient should arrive at the surgical facility early in the morning.
Here are some things to expect on the day of surgery:
- Pre-operative preparations: The patient will change into a surgical gown and receive anesthesia, either general or local, depending on the procedure.
- Procedure: The surgery may take several hours, depending on the procedures included in the Mummy Makeover.
- Recovery area: After the procedure is complete, the patient will be transferred to a recovery area where they will be monitored closely and given pain medication as needed.
- Discharge: After a few hours in the recovery area, the patient may be discharged with a caregiver who will assist them during the initial recovery process.
- Post-operative instructions: The plastic surgeon will provide detailed post-operative instructions, including how to care for the surgical incisions, medications to take, and what activities to avoid during the initial recovery period.
The patient should plan to take at least two weeks off from work to rest and recover after the procedure. It is important to follow all post-operative instructions carefully to ensure a smooth recovery and optimal results.
What is the recovery like after a Mummy Makeover?
Recovery after a Mummy Makeover can take several weeks, and the patient should plan to take at least two weeks off from work to rest and recover. Here is what to expect during the recovery period:
- Pain and discomfort: Some pain and discomfort are to be expected after the procedure, and the plastic surgeon will prescribe pain medication to manage these symptoms.
- Swelling and bruising: Swelling and bruising are common after a Mummy Makeover, and the patient may need to wear compression garments to reduce these symptoms.
- Limited mobility: The patient will need to avoid strenuous activities and heavy lifting for several weeks after the procedure.
- Follow-up appointments: The plastic surgeon will schedule several follow-up appointments to monitor the patient’s progress and ensure that the surgical incisions are healing properly.
- Gradual return to normal activities: The patient can gradually return to normal activities as instructed by the plastic surgeon and resume exercise and other strenuous activities after six to eight weeks.
It is important to follow all post-operative instructions carefully, including taking medications as prescribed, getting plenty of rest, and avoiding activities that could compromise the healing process.
Are there any risks or complications associated with a Mummy Makeover?
Like any surgical procedure, a Mummy Makeover does carry some risks and potential complications. These can include:
- Infection: Infection can occur after any surgery, but it can be especially concerning after a Mummy Makeover because it can compromise the healing of incisions.
- Bleeding: Excessive bleeding can occur during the procedure or in the initial recovery period.
- Blood clots: Blood clots can occur in the legs after surgery, which can be potentially life-threatening if they travel to the lungs.
- Seroma: Seroma is a condition where fluid accumulates in the surgical area, causing swelling and pain.
- Scarring: Scarring is inevitable after any surgical procedure, but a Mummy Makeover can result in visible scars that require additional treatment.
The plastic surgeon will discuss the risks and potential complications of the procedure during the consultation and provide detailed post-operative instructions on how to minimize the risk of complications. It is important for the patient to follow all instructions carefully to ensure a smooth recovery and optimal results.
How much does a Mummy Makeover cost?
The cost of a Mummy Makeover will depend on several factors, including the surgeon’s fees, surgical facility fees, anesthesia fees, and the specific procedures included in the Mummy Makeover. On average, the cost of a Mummy Makeover can range from $8,000 to $20,000.
It is important to note that insurance typically does not cover the cost of cosmetic surgery procedures like a Mummy Makeover. Some plastic surgeons offer financing options and payment plans to make the procedure more affordable for patients.
It is essential to choose a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon who can provide an accurate estimate of the costs involved in a Mummy Makeover procedure during the initial consultation. The surgeon should also be transparent about all fees involved in the procedure upfront.
How long do the results of a Mummy Makeover last?
The results of a Mummy Makeover can be long-lasting if the patient maintains a healthy lifestyle and avoids significant weight gain. The breast implants typically last 10-15 years before they need to be replaced, and the results of a tummy tuck can last years as long as the patient maintains a stable weight.
Regular exercise and a healthy diet can help maintain the results of a Mummy Makeover. Women who become pregnant after a Mummy Makeover may require additional surgery to restore their pre-pregnancy bodies again.
It is important to have realistic expectations of the procedure and understand that the results of a Mummy Makeover may not last forever. However, for many women, the benefits of a Mummy Makeover are life-changing and can help them regain their confidence and feel comfortable in their skin again.
In conclusion, a Mummy Makeover is a popular cosmetic surgery procedure that can help women regain their pre-pregnancy bodies. The procedure typically includes a combination of breast augmentation, tummy tuck, and liposuction, and is best suited for women who have completed their family planning.
Mummy Makeovers are not a weight loss solution and carry some risks and potential complications, such as infection, bleeding, blood clots, seroma, and visible scarring. Recovery can take several weeks, and the patient should follow all post-operative instructions carefully to ensure a smooth recovery and optimal results.
The cost of a Mummy Makeover can vary depending on several factors, and insurance typically does not cover the cost of the procedure. The results of a Mummy Makeover can be long-lasting if the patient maintains a healthy lifestyle and avoids significant weight gain.
If you are considering a Mummy Makeover, it is important to choose a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon who can provide personalized treatment and help you understand the risks and benefits involved. A consultation is the first step in determining whether you are a good candidate for a Mummy Makeover and to learn more about the procedure.
1. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. “”Mummy Makeover: Plastic Surgery after Pregnancy.”” (2019). https://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/mummy-makeover.
2. The Aesthetic Society. “”Mummy Makeover.”” (2021). https://www.smartbeautyguide.com/procedures/body/mummy-makeover/.
3. American Board of Cosmetic Surgery. “”Mummy Makeover.”” (2020). https://www.americanboardcosmeticsurgery.org/procedure-learning-center/body/mummy-makeover/.
4. Mayo Clinic. “”Mummy Makeover: Know What’s Involved.”” (2020). https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/mommy-makeover/about/pac-20385129.
5. Plastic Surgery Portal. “”Mummy Makeover.”” (2021). https://www.plasticsurgeryportal.com/mummy-makeover/2001112500095060315008.”
Mummy Makeover Perth
Considering a Mummy Makeover
|This page is not advice and is intended to be informational only. Consult your physician before undertaking any surgical procedures.|
Most famous clinics
Marina Plastic Surgery
Dr. Grant Stevens
is the founder and Medical Director of Marina Plastic Surgery and The Institute; A Medical Spa in Marina Del Rey, California.
USA 4560 Admiralty Way Suite 256
Marina Del Rey, CA 90292
Phone : 310-494-2881
Nazarian Plastic Surgery
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
MMM is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and the founder of Nazarian Plastic Surgery and Spa26 in Beverly Hills.
USA 120 S. Spalding Dr. #315,
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Phone: (310) 773-3039
Westlake Dermatology is a national leader in dermatology and plastic surgery. Our specialization in minimally invasive procedures.
USA 2201 Onion Creek Parkway
Austin, Texas 78747
Central Scottsdale Surgery Center
Dr. Remus Repta
Dr. Repta, our founder, is widely recognized for his exceptional skills, and the quality and artistry of his surgical work.
USA 3271 N Civic Center Plaza #105,
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
Forest Hill Institute Of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Dr. David Boudana
Dr. David Boudana, a board certified plastic surgeon, is a graduate of the prestigious University of Paris Descartes.
Сanada 1188B Eglinton Avenue West
Australian Cosmetic Clinics
Dr. Shaz Musavi
Dr Shaz is a fully trained Cosmetic Surgeon who brings his extensive aesthetic background and professionalism.
Australia Suite 1, 448 Pacific Highway
Artarmon, NSW 2064
Phone: 1300 559 848