Are you considering plastic surgery after pregnancy? Are you looking for a way to restore your pre-baby body and feel rejuvenated? If so, a Mummy Makeover may be the right choice for you.
Plastic surgery has become increasingly popular over the years, and the Mummy Makeover is no exception. This procedure is designed to target post-pregnancy problem areas like the stomach, breasts, and buttocks by combining multiple surgeries into one comprehensive treatment.
If you’re interested in learning more about this transformative surgery, keep reading! In this article, we’ll explore everything you need to know about the Mummy Makeover, including what it is, who it’s for, and what to expect throughout the entire process.
What is a Mummy Makeover?
A Mummy Makeover is a combination of plastic surgery procedures that address the physical changes that occur in a woman’s body after pregnancy. It typically includes a tummy tuck, breast augmentation or lift, and liposuction to remove excess fat deposits in areas like the hips and thighs.
The goal of this comprehensive treatment is to restore a woman’s pre-baby body and confidence, helping her look and feel her best. Many women struggle with post-pregnancy changes that diet and exercise alone cannot resolve, making a Mummy Makeover an attractive option for achieving a more youthful, toned appearance.
While the specific procedures included in a Mummy Makeover can vary based on individual needs and goals, the combination of treatments typically addresses the most common post-pregnancy concerns, such as stretch marks, sagging skin, and uneven breasts.
Who is a good candidate for a Mummy Makeover?
If you’ve had one or more pregnancies and are unhappy with the physical changes in your body, you may be a good candidate for a Mummy Makeover.
The ideal candidate for this procedure should:
- Be in good overall health: As with any surgical procedure, it’s important to be in good health to minimize risks and aid in the healing process.
- Have completed childbearing: While it is possible to have children after a Mummy Makeover, it’s generally recommended to wait until you are done having children, as future pregnancies can undo the results of the procedure.
- Be at or near their goal weight: The ideal candidate should be at a stable weight and within 10-15 pounds of their goal weight. A Mummy Makeover is not a weight loss procedure but rather a way to address stubborn areas of excess fat and loose skin that are resistant to diet and exercise.
- Have realistic expectations: It’s important to have realistic expectations about the outcome of the procedure. While a Mummy Makeover can provide noticeable improvements, it is not a miracle solution and may not provide perfection.
If you meet these qualifications, you may be a good candidate for a Mummy Makeover. However, it’s important to discuss your individual goals, concerns, and medical history with a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine if this procedure is right for you.
What to expect during a Mummy Makeover consultation
If you are considering a Mummy Makeover, the first step is to schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon. During this initial appointment, you can expect to:
- Discuss your medical history: Your surgeon will ask about your medical history, including any medications you are currently taking, past surgeries, and any health conditions you may have.
- Share your goals: You’ll have the opportunity to discuss your goals for the procedure and the specific areas of your body you would like to improve.
- Receive a physical examination: The surgeon will perform a physical examination to evaluate your current state of health and assess your body’s suitability for the procedure.
- Learn about the procedure: Your surgeon will explain the details of the Mummy Makeover procedure, including the individual procedures involved, the expected recovery time, and potential risks and complications.
- Review before and after photos: You will have the opportunity to review before and after photos of other patients who have undergone a Mummy Makeover to get a sense of the potential results.
By the end of your consultation, you should have a clear understanding of the procedure and whether or not it is a good fit for your individual needs and goals.
How to prepare for a Mummy Makeover
Preparation is a crucial part of ensuring a successful Mummy Makeover procedure and recovery. Here are some tips to help you prepare:
- Follow preoperative instructions: Your plastic surgeon will provide you with specific preoperative instructions to follow in the weeks leading up to your procedure. These may include avoiding certain medications, quitting smoking, and adjusting your diet.
- Arrange for help: You’ll need assistance during the first few days of recovery, so be sure to arrange for a responsible adult to help you with daily activities, childcare, and transportation.
- Stock up on supplies: Before your surgery, stock up on essential items like loose-fitting, comfortable clothing, healthy snacks, and entertainment options like books, movies, or TV shows.
- Plan for time off work: Plan to take at least two weeks off from work to rest and recover after your Mummy Makeover. You may need longer if your job involves physical activity.
- Mentally prepare: Preparing for any surgery can be mentally challenging, so make sure you have a support system in place and talk to your plastic surgeon about any concerns or questions you may have.
By following these tips, you can help ensure a smooth and successful Mummy Makeover procedure and recovery.
What to expect during a Mummy Makeover procedure
A Mummy Makeover is typically performed under general anesthesia and can take anywhere from three to six hours, depending on the number and complexity of the procedures involved.
Here’s what you can expect during the procedure:
- Anesthesia: Before the surgery begins, you will be given general anesthesia to ensure you are comfortable and pain-free throughout the procedure.
- Incisions: The surgeon will make incisions in the areas to be treated. The location and size of the incisions will vary depending on the specific procedures being performed.
- Tissue removal: The surgeon will remove excess skin and fat as needed to achieve the desired results.
- Muscle repair: If you are having a tummy tuck, the surgeon may repair the abdominal muscles if they have become stretched or weakened during pregnancy.
- Implant insertion: If you are having breast augmentation, the surgeon will insert the implants at this time.
- Closure: Once the procedures are complete, the surgeon will close the incisions with sutures or adhesive.
- Recovery: After the surgery is complete, you’ll be taken to a recovery room where you will be monitored closely and given appropriate pain medication.
It is normal to experience some pain and discomfort in the first few days following the procedure, but your surgeon will provide you with instructions for managing pain and minimizing complications.
Recovery from a Mummy Makeover
Recovery from a Mummy Makeover can take several weeks, and it’s important to follow your plastic surgeon’s instructions carefully to ensure optimal healing. Here’s what you can expect during the recovery process:
- Immediately after surgery: You’ll be taken to a recovery area where you’ll be monitored closely as you come out of anesthesia. You may experience some pain and discomfort during this time, but pain medication will be given as needed to keep you comfortable.
- The first few days: You’ll need to rest and avoid any strenuous activity during the first few days after surgery. You’ll be given specific instructions for caring for your incisions and managing pain.
- First week: During the first week, you’ll likely experience some swelling and bruising. You’ll need to take it easy and avoid any activity that could strain the surgical areas.
- Second week: By the second week, you should be able to move around more comfortably, although you should still avoid any strenuous activity. Your plastic surgeon will typically schedule a follow-up appointment during this time to monitor your progress.
- Third week: By the third week, you may be able to return to work and resume light activities. However, you should still avoid any exercise or activity that could strain the surgical areas.
- Fourth week and beyond: By four to six weeks after surgery, most patients are able to resume their normal activities, including exercise.
It’s important to attend all scheduled follow-up appointments with your plastic surgeon to ensure your recovery is progressing as expected, and to address any concerns you may have along the way.
Risks and complications of a Mummy Makeover
As with any surgical procedure, a Mummy Makeover comes with certain risks and potential complications. These can include:
- Bleeding: Excessive bleeding during or after surgery can be a risk.
- Infection: Any surgical procedure carries a risk of infection, which can slow down the healing process.
- Scarring: While incisions are made in strategic locations to minimize visible scarring, some scarring is inevitable.
- Anesthesia risks: Allergic reactions, breathing difficulties, and other complications can occur during anesthesia.
- Skin loss: The risk of skin loss is higher in patients who smoke, have poor blood flow, or have previously undergone abdominal surgeries.
- Numbness: Numbness or changes in skin sensation can occur in the surgical areas.
- Blood clots: Blood clots can be a risk after any surgical procedure, especially if the patient is not moving around enough.
It’s important to discuss potential risks and complications with your plastic surgeon before deciding to undergo a Mummy Makeover. Your surgeon can help you understand the individual risks and how to minimize them.
Cost of a Mummy Makeover
The cost of a Mummy Makeover can vary significantly depending on a variety of factors, including your location, the experience and qualifications of your plastic surgeon, the specific procedures included, and the extent of the correction needed.
On average, a Mummy Makeover can cost anywhere from $8,000 to $20,000. This cost typically includes the surgeon’s fees, facility fees, anesthesia, and any necessary medical supplies and garments.
Keep in mind that the cost of a Mummy Makeover is an investment in yourself and your confidence, and it’s important to choose a qualified, experienced plastic surgeon who can deliver the results you desire. Many plastic surgeons offer financing options that can help make the cost of a Mummy Makeover more manageable.
It’s important to note that cosmetic surgery is often not covered by insurance, so it’s important to factor the entire cost of the procedure into your decision-making process.
A Mummy Makeover is a comprehensive plastic surgery procedure that can address the common physical changes that occur in a woman’s body after pregnancy. By combining procedures like a tummy tuck, breast augmentation or lift, and liposuction, a Mummy Makeover can restore a woman’s pre-baby body and help her feel more confident in her appearance.
While the procedure comes with certain risks and a significant cost, many women find the results are worth it. If you’re considering a Mummy Makeover, it’s important to do your research, choose a qualified, experienced plastic surgeon, and prepare carefully for a successful procedure and recovery.
If you’re interested in learning more about whether a Mummy Makeover is right for you, schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options and develop a treatment plan that fits your individual needs and goals.
1. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. (n.d.). Mommy Makeover. Retrieved from https://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/mommy-makeover.
2. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. (n.d.). Tummy Tuck. Retrieved from https://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/tummy-tuck.
3. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. (n.d.). Breast Augmentation. Retrieved from https://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/breast-augmentation.
4. Balch, S. (2017, January 3). What to Expect from a Mommy Makeover. Retrieved from https://www.plasticsurgery.org/news/blog/what-to-expect-from-a-mommy-makeover.
5. Mayo Clinic. (2020, April 21). Mommy Makeover: Are You Ready for your Post-Baby Plastic Surgery? Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/womens-health/in-depth/mommy-makeover/art-20047114.
6. Qualified Surgeons. (2021). Mummy Makeover. Retrieved from https://www.qualifiedsurgeons.com/treatments/mummy-makeover/.
7. RealSelf. (n.d.). Mommy Makeover. Retrieved from https://www.realself.com/mommy-makeover.
8. Society of Plastic Surgical Skin Care Specialists. (n.d.). What to Expect Before and After Your Mommy Makeover. Retrieved from https://www.spsscs.org/patient-information/mommy-makeover/preparation/.