Introduction to Mummy Makeover
Mummy Makeover is one of the most effective ways to restore your pre-pregnancy body. This type of plastic surgery can help you achieve the body you once had before pregnancy by combining several procedures in one. A Mummy Makeover typically includes a tummy tuck, breast lift, and liposuction to get rid of excess fat. It’s not a one-size-fits-all solution, but it’s a customizable procedure that can be tailored to your individual needs.
If you’re considering a Mummy Makeover, there are a few things you should know before making your decision. In this article, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know about Mummy Makeover, including what it is, who it’s for, and how to decide if it’s the right procedure for you.
What is a Mummy Makeover?
A Mummy Makeover is a combination of procedures that are designed to help women regain their pre-pregnancy bodies. The procedures typically involved in a Mummy Makeover include a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty), liposuction, and a breast lift (mastopexy). Sometimes, breast augmentation or reduction is also an option in a Mummy Makeover, depending on the individual’s needs and goals.
A tummy tuck involves removing excess skin and fat from the abdominal area and tightening the muscles in the midsection. This helps to create a flatter, more toned-looking stomach. Liposuction removes stubborn pockets of fat from areas such as the thighs, hips, arms, and back – which may not have responded to diet and exercise. A breast lift can correct sagging breasts by removing excess skin and tightening the tissue, resulting in a more youthful-looking bust.
The combination of these procedures can give the body a more contoured and toned appearance. However, it is important to note that a Mummy Makeover is a major surgical procedure that requires extensive recovery time and careful consideration before proceeding with the treatment.
Who is a Good Candidate for a Mummy Makeover?
Mummy Makeover can be an excellent option for women who have experienced pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding and now wish to restore their pre-baby body. However, not everyone is an ideal candidate for this procedure.
A good candidate for a Mummy Makeover is someone who:
- Has realistic expectations – The best candidates should have a clear understanding of the limitations and potential outcomes of the procedure.
- Is in good overall health – Good health is essential to ensure a safe and successful surgery. Any pre-existing medical conditions and medications should be discussed with your surgeon beforehand.
- Has maintained a stable weight – It is important to have achieved a healthy and stable weight before undergoing any cosmetic procedure, including a Mummy Makeover.
- Has finished having children – While it is still possible to have children after a Mummy Makeover, it is recommended to wait until after the procedure, as pregnancy can alter the results of the surgery.
- Has realistic body goals – A Mummy Makeover can help restore your pre-baby body, but it won’t make you look like someone else or turn back the clock entirely.
- Is committed to leading a healthy lifestyle – A healthy lifestyle is key to maintaining the results of the procedure over the long term.
Every individual’s case is unique, and a comprehensive consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon is necessary to determine if a Mummy Makeover is appropriate for you.
Risks and Complications of a Mummy Makeover
As with any surgical procedure, there are risks and complications associated with a Mummy Makeover. It is crucial to understand the potential risks before choosing to undergo the procedure.
Some of the most common risks and complications associated with a Mummy Makeover include:
- Bleeding or hematoma – This is a collection of blood underneath the skin following surgery, and may require additional surgery to treat.
- Infection – There is a risk of developing an infection following the surgery. In rare cases, the infection can lead to serious complications, such as sepsis.
- Scarring – While the surgeon will try to minimize scarring as much as possible, some scarring is inevitable. The extent of scarring will depend on factors such as the individual’s skin type and the extent of the procedure.
- Numbness or loss of sensation – It is common for patients to experience temporary or permanent loss of sensation in the treated areas. This can sometimes be resolved over time, but in rare cases, it can be permanent.
- Blood clots – There is a small risk of developing blood clots following surgery, which can lead to pulmonary embolism or stroke.
- Anesthesia complications – There is always a risk of anesthesia-related complications such as allergic reactions, heart attack, or stroke.
It is crucial to discuss these risks and any other concerns with your surgeon prior to the procedure, and to follow all post-operative instructions carefully to minimize the risk of complications.
Preparing for a Mummy Makeover
Preparing for a Mummy Makeover involves several steps to ensure a smooth and safe procedure with optimal results.
- Consultation with a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon – The first step is to schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon and discuss your goals and concerns. Your surgeon will evaluate your overall health, medical history, and perform a physical exam to ensure you are a good candidate for the procedure.
- Medical Evaluation – Before the procedure, you may need to undergo a medical evaluation that includes lab tests to ensure good health and readiness for surgery.
- Quit Smoking – Smoking can increase the risk of complications during and after surgery. If you are a smoker, it is recommended that you quit smoking well in advance of the procedure.
- Medication Review – Inform your surgeon of all medications, supplements, or vitamins you are currently taking. They will then advise if you should stop any of them to minimize the risk of bleeding or other complications during surgery.
- Adjusting Body Weight – You should aim to achieve a stable and healthy weight before the procedure, as being overweight or underweight can increase the risk of complications.
- Plan Recovery Period – You will need to plan your recovery period, including time off work and arranging for help with childcare and other responsibilities. Also, ensure that you are prepared with a comfortable and appropriate post-surgical wardrobe.
It is essential to follow all of the preoperative instructions provided by your surgeon to ensure a smooth and safe procedure.
What to Expect During a Mummy Makeover
A Mummy Makeover is a comprehensive surgical procedure that typically involves multiple surgeries that may take anywhere from 3-7 hours to complete. The surgery is usually performed under general anesthesia and requires hospitalization for a day or two.
The procedure may include:
- Tummy Tuck – During the tummy tuck, the surgeon will remove excess skin and fat from the abdominal area, and tighten the muscles in the midsection.
- Breast Lift – A breast lift involves removing excess skin and tightening the tissue around the breast area to restore firmness.
- Liposuction – Liposuction involves removing stubborn pockets of fat from various areas of the body as per the patient’s requirement.
- Breast Augmentation or Reduction – Depending on the patient’s requirement, breast augmentation using implants, or breast reduction may be performed as part of the procedure.
After the surgery, you will feel pain and discomfort in the treated areas, which can be managed with medications provided by the surgeon. The surgeon may also place drains to remove excess fluid, and these drains will be removed in a few days.
In general, expect to:
- Feel sore and experience swelling for several weeks, which can be managed with pain medication and compression garments.
- Take at least two weeks off from work and avoid strenuous activities for several weeks.
- Follow the surgeon’s instructions regarding your diet, physical activity, and post-operative care.
It is important to be patient during the recovery period, and ensure a healthy diet and appropriate physical activity routine for the best outcomes.
Recovery from a Mummy Makeover
Recovery from a Mummy Makeover involves several stages, and it is important to follow the surgeon’s instructions carefully to ensure a successful and smooth recovery.
The first few days after surgery are the most critical, and the most important thing is to rest and avoid any strenuous activities. During the first week, you will experience swelling, bruising, and discomfort, which can be managed with pain medication and rest.
Here are some tips for a smooth recovery:
- Follow the Surgeon’s Instructions – The surgeon will provide detailed instructions on how to take care of yourself after surgery, including the use of compression garments, medications, and restrictions on activities.
- Plan Ahead – Ensure that you are prepared with a comfortable recovery area and have someone to help with your daily activities, such as childcare and household chores.
- Rest and Relax – Proper rest can speed up the recovery process, allowing your body to heal fully.
- Take Care of Incisions – It is vital to keep the incision areas clean and dry, changing dressings as needed.
- Manage Pain – Pain and discomfort are common during the recovery period, so it is important to take pain medication as directed by your surgeon.
- Stay Active – Although strenuous activities should be avoided, light physical activity, such as walking, can help improve circulation and speed up the recovery process.
It can take several weeks to several months to achieve fully recover from a Mummy Makeover. It is important to be patient and follow your surgeon’s post-operative instructions carefully to ensure optimal results.
Results of a Mummy Makeover
The results of a Mummy Makeover vary from person to person, depending on the extent of the procedure and the individual’s body type. While the recovery period can be challenging, the procedure can have dramatic and long-lasting results if you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
The tummy tuck can help improve the appearance of loose, sagging skin in the abdominal area, reduce the appearance of stretch marks, and create a smoother and more contoured stomach. The breast lift can help restore the shape and position of the breasts, giving them a more youthful appearance. Liposuction can contour stubborn areas, such as the hips, thighs, or back.
It is important to remember that a Mummy Makeover is not a weight-loss procedure and does not replace a healthy lifestyle. Maintaining a balanced diet and regular exercise is crucial for long-lasting results.
To ensure the best outcomes, follow up with your surgeon regularly and maintain a healthy lifestyle. In some cases, additional procedures, such as touch-ups or revisions, may be necessary to achieve optimal results.
Cost of a Mummy Makeover
The cost of a Mummy Makeover can vary widely depending on several factors, including the extent of the procedures involved, geographical location, and the surgeon’s expertise.
On average, a Mummy Makeover can cost around $10,000 to $30,000, which includes the surgeon’s fee, anesthesia, facility fee, and post-operative care. However, this estimate can vary depending on the individual case.
It is important to note that the cost of a Mummy Makeover is generally not covered by insurance, as it is considered a cosmetic procedure. However, some financing options are available to assist with the cost, such as payment plans or financing through credit companies.
When considering the cost of a Mummy Makeover, it is essential to choose a board-certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience and a good track record in performing the procedure. The surgeon’s expertise and experience can affect the final result and minimize the risk of complications.
It is also important to remember that the long-term value of self-confidence and improved body image can make the cost of a Mummy Makeover a worthwhile investment for many individuals.
A Mummy Makeover can be an effective way to restore your pre-pregnancy body, boost your confidence, and improve your quality of life. However, it is a serious surgical procedure that requires careful consideration and thorough preparation.
By choosing a board-certified plastic surgeon and following pre-operative and post-operative instructions carefully, you can minimize the risks and achieve the best possible results.
Remember that a Mummy Makeover is not a substitute for a healthy lifestyle, and maintaining a balanced diet and regular exercise is essential for long-lasting results. By approaching the procedure with realistic expectations and a commitment to a healthy lifestyle, you can achieve positive results and enjoy the confidence that comes with a body you feel good about.
Here are some references used in creating this article:
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. (2021). What is a Mommy Makeover? Retrieved from https://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/mommy-makeover
- Mayo Clinic. (2021). Mommy Makeover: What You Need to Know. Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/mommy-makeover/about/pac-20385101
- American Board of Cosmetic Surgery. (2021). What Is a Mommy Makeover? Retrieved from https://www.americanboardcosmeticsurgery.org/procedure-learning-center/body/mommy-makeover-guide-procedure/
- International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS). (2019). The Mommy Makeover: What To Expect. Retrieved from https://www.isaps.org/blog/the-mommy-makeover-what-to-expect/
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. (2021). Mommy Makeover Recovery. Retrieved from https://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/mommy-makeover/recovery
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. (2021). Mommy Makeover Cost. Retrieved from https://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/mommy-makeover/cost
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. (2021). Find a Plastic Surgeon. Retrieved from https://www.plasticsurgery.org/find-a-surgeon.