Are you a new mother who is struggling with the aftermath of childbirth? Is it bothering you that your body no longer resembles how it used to be before giving birth? If so, then it might be time to consider plastic surgery.
One of the most popular procedures is the “Mummy Makeover,” which is a combination of surgeries that are aimed at restoring the shape and appearance of a postpartum body. With the help of surgical procedures such as abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), breast augmentation or reduction, liposuction, and buttock lift, mothers can regain their confidence and feel more comfortable in their skin.
If you are in Perth, then you are in luck, because the city is home to some of the best plastic surgeons who specialize in Mummy Makeovers. In this article, we will look at Plastic Surgery: Mummy Makeover: Mummy Makeover Perth and everything you need to know about the procedure.
What is a Mummy Makeover?
As mentioned above, a Mummy Makeover is a combination of cosmetic surgeries that focus on restoring a woman’s pre-baby body. These procedures typically include:
- Tummy Tuck – This procedure is also known as abdominoplasty, which removes excess skin and fat from the abdomen area, and tightens the abdominal muscles.
- Breast Augmentation/Reduction – Pregnancy and breastfeeding can cause significant changes in the breasts’ size and shape. Breast augmentation or reduction can help restore the breasts’ volume and contour.
- Liposuction – This procedure removes excess fat from various areas of the body, such as the abdomen, hips, and thighs.
- Buttock Lift – This procedure lifts and tightens the buttocks, giving a more youthful appearance.
The surgical plan is tailored to each individual’s body type, concerns, and goals. The goal of a Mummy Makeover is to restore a mother’s confidence and help her feel more comfortable in her skin.
Who is a candidate for a Mummy Makeover?
Mummy Makeovers are typically designed for women who have recently given birth and are looking to restore their pre-pregnancy bodies. However, not everyone is a good candidate for these types of procedures.
Women who are considering a Mummy Makeover should meet the following criteria:
- Be in good health – A Mummy Makeover is a serious surgical procedure. Patients should be in good health to minimize the risks of complications during and after the surgery.
- Have realistic expectations – Patients should understand that a Mummy Makeover can improve their body’s contour but cannot fix all the issues caused by pregnancy and childbirth.
- Be finished having children – Women who are planning to have more children should postpone a Mummy Makeover until they are done having children, as future pregnancies can reverse the results of the surgery.
- Maintain a stable weight – Patients should be at a stable weight before undergoing a Mummy Makeover. Significant weight fluctuations can affect the results of the procedure.
If you meet these criteria, you may be a good candidate for a Mummy Makeover in Perth. However, it’s essential to consult with a plastic surgeon for a thorough evaluation to determine whether or not a Mummy Makeover is right for you.
Preparing for a Mummy Makeover
If you decide to undergo a Mummy Makeover, you’ll need to prepare for the procedure beforehand. Preparing for surgery involves:
- Consultation – You’ll meet with a plastic surgeon to discuss your desired results, medical history, and overall health. During the consultation, you’ll also discuss the types of procedures that will be included as part of your Mummy Makeover.
- Stop smoking – Smoking can increase the risk of complications during and after surgery. You’ll need to stop smoking at least two weeks before the surgery.
- Adjust medications and supplements – Certain medications and supplements can interfere with the surgery, so you’ll need to adjust them or stop taking them altogether. You’ll need to discuss this with your surgeon and primary care doctor beforehand.
- Arrange for post-operative care – Recovery from surgery takes time, so make sure you arrange for someone to help you with your everyday tasks during your recovery period.
- Follow pre-operative instructions – Your surgeon will provide you with instructions to follow before the surgery, such as fasting for a certain period and avoiding certain foods.
By preparing for the surgery beforehand, you’ll have a smoother recovery and get better results from the Mummy Makeover.
The Mummy Makeover Procedure
The Mummy Makeover is a combination of several procedures performed under one surgical session. The length of the procedure varies depending on the combination of surgeries included.
The general procedure is as follows:
- Anesthesia – The plastic surgeon will administer general anesthesia or IV sedation to ensure that the patient is comfortable throughout the procedure.
- Incisions – Incisions are made in the areas that require surgery. The location and length of the incisions depend on the type of procedure being performed. For example, for a tummy tuck, the incision is made horizontally across the lower abdomen.
- Surgery – Once the incisions are made, the surgeon performs the selected procedures. This may include tightening of the abdominal muscles, removal of excess skin and fat, breast augmentation or reduction, liposuction, or buttock lift.
- Closing the incisions – Once the procedures are completed, the surgeon will close the incisions with sutures or surgical tape.
- Recovery – The patient is taken to a recovery room, where they are monitored by medical staff to ensure that there are no complications. The length of the hospital stay depends on the length and extent of the surgery.
The Mummy Makeover procedure is a significant surgery that takes time and dedication to recover from. Patients can expect some discomfort and may need to take pain medication for a few days after the procedure. It’s essential to follow all post-operative instructions provided by the surgeon to ensure a smooth recovery.
Recovery from a Mummy Makeover
Recovery from a Mummy Makeover can take several weeks to a few months, depending on the extent of the surgery. During the recovery period, patients need to take special care to ensure a successful healing process.
Here are some tips to help with recovery:
- Manage pain – The first few days after the surgery, patients usually experience pain or discomfort. The surgeon will provide pain medication to manage the pain.
- Rest – It’s essential to rest and avoid any strenuous activities, including household chores and lifting weights, during the recovery period.
- Follow post-operative instructions – The surgeon will provide specific instructions to follow, such as changing dressings, keeping the incisions clean, and avoiding certain activities.
- Wear compression garments – Patients may need to wear a compression garment to help reduce swelling and support the healing process.
- Attend follow-up appointments – It’s important to attend all follow-up appointments with the surgeon to monitor the healing process and address any issues that may arise.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle – After the surgery, patients should maintain a healthy lifestyle to ensure that the results of the procedure last. This includes eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, and avoiding smoking or alcohol.
Recovery from a Mummy Makeover can be challenging, but by following these tips and guidelines, patients can experience a smooth recovery period and achieve their desired results.
Risks and Complications
Like any surgery, a Mummy Makeover comes with risks and potential complications. It’s essential to understand the possible risks before deciding to undergo the procedure.
Here are some potential risks and complications of a Mummy Makeover:
- Bleeding – Excessive bleeding can occur during or after surgery, leading to the formation of a hematoma.
- Infection – Infection can occur at the site of the incisions, leading to fever, redness, and swelling.
- Scarring – Scars are a natural part of the healing process, but they can become noticeable and even require additional treatment to reduce their appearance.
- Nerve damage – Nerve damage can occur during surgery or from the healing process, leading to numbness, tingling, or loss of sensation in the treated areas.
- Unsatisfactory results – Although a Mummy Makeover can significantly improve a woman’s appearance, there is no guarantee of perfect results.
- Anesthesia risks – General anesthesia carries risks, including allergic reactions, confusion, or injury from positioning during surgery.
- Blood clots – Blood clots can form in the veins, leading to serious complications like pulmonary embolism.
It’s important to discuss these risks and potential complications with your plastic surgeon to ensure that you are aware of them and make an informed decision about whether to proceed with the surgery.
Cost of a Mummy Makeover
The cost of a Mummy Makeover varies, depending on several factors, including the procedures involved, the surgeon’s experience and qualifications, and the location.
In Perth, the cost of a Mummy Makeover typically ranges from $14,000 to $25,000. This cost includes the surgeon’s fees, anesthesia, and operating room fees.
It’s important to note that the cost may vary from person to person, and some insurance plans may not cover the procedure. Patients should discuss the cost of the surgery with their surgeon and consider financing options if needed.
While the cost of a Mummy Makeover may seem high, it’s essential to consider the long-term benefits, such as increased self-confidence and improved quality of life.
Choosing a Surgeon for a Mummy Makeover
Choosing the right plastic surgeon for a Mummy Makeover is crucial to ensuring a successful outcome. Here are some factors to consider when selecting a surgeon:
- Qualifications – Look for a surgeon who is board-certified in plastic surgery and has extensive experience in Mummy Makeover procedures.
- Referrals and Reviews – Ask for referrals from friends or family who have undergone plastic surgery. You can also research online reviews of plastic surgeons in your area.
- Before and After photos – Request to see before and after photos of previous Mummy Makeover patients to ensure that the surgeon’s work aligns with your desired results.
- Consultation – Schedule a consultation with the potential surgeon to discuss your goals, ask questions, and assess their bedside manner.
- Hospital Affiliation – Choose a surgeon who operates in a reputable hospital, with a well-trained medical team and state-of-the-art equipment.
- Cost – Consider the surgeon’s pricing, although cost should not be the only factor in your decision.
By considering these factors, patients can choose the right surgeon for their Mummy Makeover procedure and achieve the best possible results.
A Mummy Makeover is a combination of cosmetic surgeries that can help women regain their pre-pregnancy bodies and feel more confident in their skin. The procedure involves several surgeries, including a tummy tuck, breast augmentation or reduction, liposuction, and buttock lift.
Although the surgery offers several benefits, the recovery period can be challenging, and there are potential risks and complications to consider. Before deciding to undergo a Mummy Makeover, it’s essential to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to evaluate your eligibility for the procedure, understand the risks, and discuss the expected outcomes.
If you are in Perth and considering a Mummy Makeover, there are several qualified plastic surgeons available who offer this procedure. By following the tips and guidelines mentioned in this article, you can achieve a successful outcome and regain your confidence and self-esteem.
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. (n.d.). Mommy Makeover. Retrieved from https://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/mommy-makeover.
- Cosmetic Institute of Australia. (n.d.). Mummy Makeover. Retrieved from https://www.cosmeticinstitute.com.au/mummy-makeover.
- MedlinePlus. (2021). Abdominoplasty. Retrieved from https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/007435.htm.
- MedlinePlus. (2021). Breast Augmentation. Retrieved from https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002981.htm.
- Panchapakesan, V., & Coughlin, C. J. (2020). The Mummy Makeover: A Systematic Review of the Literature. Aesthetic Surgery Journal. 40(2), 159-175. doi: 10.1093/asj/sjz178.
- The Royal Australian College of Surgeons. (n.d.). Getting ready for surgery. Retrieved from https://www.surgeons.org/patients/getting-ready-for-surgery.
- Yellow Pages. (n.d.). Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in PERTH CBD, WA. Retrieved from https://www.yellowpages.com.au/find/plastic-reconstructive-surgery/perth-cbd-wa.