Plastic surgery has become increasingly popular in recent years, with a growing number of people opting for non-surgical procedures. One such non-surgical procedure is fat dissolving injections in the double chin area. It is a popular option for those looking to reduce excess fat in the area without undergoing surgery. In this article, we will explore the details of this procedure, its benefits and risks, and share experiences of those who have undergone the treatment.
What are Fat Dissolving Injections in the Double Chin?
Fat dissolving injections in the double chin area, also known as Kybella or Belkyra, are a non-surgical procedure designed to reduce excess fat under the chin. The injections are made up of a synthetic version of deoxycholic acid, a naturally occurring substance in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat. When injected into the fat cells under the chin, it destroys the cell membrane and liquefies the fat, which the body then eliminates naturally. The procedure typically involves multiple injections over several treatment sessions, depending on the amount of fat being targeted.
Benefits of Fat Dissolving Injections
Fat dissolving injections in the double chin area offer several benefits over surgical procedures, including:
- Non-surgical: This is a non-surgical procedure that does not require general anesthesia or incisions, making it a low-risk option for those who want to avoid surgery.
- Quick procedure: The procedure typically takes around 20 to 30 minutes, and most people can resume their normal activities immediately after treatment.
- Customizable treatment: The treatment can be customized to individual needs, with the number of injections and treatment sessions tailored to the amount of fat being targeted.
- Long-lasting results: The results of this treatment can be long-lasting, with most people only requiring one or two treatments to achieve their desired results.
- Improved self-esteem: Reducing excess fat in the double chin area can improve self-esteem, confidence, and overall appearance.
Risks and Side Effects
Like any medical procedure, fat dissolving injections in the double chin area come with risks and potential side effects, including:
- Swelling: Swelling and bruising are common side effects of the treatment, which usually resolve within a few days or weeks.
- Numbness: Numbness, tingling, or a burning sensation in the treatment area may occur, but is typically temporary.
- Infection: While rare, there is a risk of infection at the injection site.
- Uneven results: In some cases, the treatment may result in uneven or lumpy fat reduction.
- Risk of injury: There is a small risk of injury to surrounding structures such as blood vessels, nerves, or the salivary glands.
- Unsatisfactory results: The results of the treatment may not meet the expectations of the patient or may not be to their satisfaction.
It is important to discuss any concerns or questions with a licensed and trained medical professional before undergoing the procedure.
Who is a Candidate for Fat Dissolving Injections?
Not everyone is a suitable candidate for fat dissolving injections in the double chin area. Suitable candidates for this treatment include:
- Adults over the age of 18 with excess fat in the double chin area.
- People in good overall health with no underlying medical conditions that affect healing or increase the risk of complications.
- Individuals with a BMI of 30 or below, as this treatment is not suitable for significant weight loss.
- Those who are realistic about the results of the treatment and have reasonable expectations.
It is recommended to talk to a licensed medical professional to determine whether you are a suitable candidate for this treatment. They can also guide you through the process and provide more information about the potential risks and benefits of the procedure.
Preparation for the Procedure
Before undergoing fat dissolving injections in the double chin area, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Consultation: A consultation with a licensed medical professional is required before the procedure to assess the suitability and discuss any concerns or questions.
- Medications: It is important to disclose any medications or supplements you are currently taking during the consultation, as some can increase the risk of bleeding or bruising.
- Smoking: Smoking can affect the healing process and increase the risk of complications, so it is recommended to quit smoking before and after the procedure.
- Avoiding blood thinners: It is recommended to avoid blood thinners, such as aspirin or ibuprofen, for at least a week before the procedure to reduce the risk of bleeding and bruising.
- Avoiding alcohol: Avoiding alcohol for at least 24 hours before the procedure can also reduce the risk of bleeding and bruising.
- Arrange for a ride home: As with any medical procedure involving injections, it is recommended to arrange for a ride home after the procedure, especially if you have been given local anesthesia.
What to Expect During the Procedure
Fat dissolving injections in the double chin area typically involve the following steps:
- Cleaning: The area under the chin is cleaned to reduce the risk of infection.
- Numbing: Local anesthesia or a topical numbing cream is applied to the area to minimize discomfort during the procedure.
- Injection: The injections are then administered into the fat cells under the chin using a fine needle. The number of injections and treatment sessions depend on the amount of fat being targeted.
- Recovery: After the injections, the area may be massaged to distribute the medication evenly. Ice or a cold compress may be applied to reduce swelling and discomfort.
- Follow-up appointments: Follow-up appointments are typically scheduled to monitor progress and determine whether further treatment is necessary.
The procedure is relatively quick and typically takes around 20 to 30 minutes to complete. Most people can resume their normal activities immediately after the procedure, although some swelling and bruising may occur.
Recovery and Aftercare
After undergoing fat dissolving injections in the double chin area, it is important to follow proper aftercare procedures to ensure proper recovery and the best results. Here are some tips for aftercare:
- Avoid touching the treated area for at least 24 hours.
- Apply ice or a cold compress to the treated area for the first 48 hours to reduce swelling and discomfort.
- Avoid strenuous activities or exercise for at least 48 hours after the procedure.
- Avoid sun exposure, tanning beds, or sunbathing for at least 48 hours after the procedure.
- Do not consume alcohol for at least 24 hours after the procedure.
- Avoid blood-thinning medications, such as aspirin or ibuprofen, for at least a week after the procedure.
- Maintain a healthy diet and exercise routine to maximize the results of the treatment.
- Attend any scheduled follow-up appointments to monitor progress and determine whether further treatment is necessary.
- Always follow the post-procedure instructions provided by your medical professional to ensure proper healing and recovery.
It is essential to follow these aftercare procedures to ensure proper recovery and achieve the best possible results.
Experiences of Those Who Have Undergone the Treatment
Many people have undergone fat dissolving injections in the double chin area and have had positive experiences with the treatment. They report significant reductions in excess fat under the chin, improving overall appearance and boosting self-esteem.
However, some people have also reported negative experiences, including uneven or lumpy fat reduction, discomfort during the procedure, and unsatisfactory results.
It is important to keep in mind that results can vary from person to person and that individual experiences may differ. It is also important to choose a licensed and trained medical professional to perform the procedure to minimize the risk of complications and maximize the likelihood of positive results.
Fat dissolving injections in the double chin area can be an effective non-surgical option for reducing excess fat and improving overall appearance. While there are risks and potential side effects, proper consultation with a licensed medical professional and proper aftercare can minimize the risks and increase the likelihood of positive results.
Overall, it is a customizable procedure that can help boost self-esteem and confidence, providing long-lasting results with minimal downtime. Always talk to a medical professional to determine whether you are a suitable candidate for the treatment and to receive guidance throughout the process.
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. (2018). What is injection lipolysis or fat-dissolving injections?
- Hsu, J. Y., & Kaiser, P. (2018). Review of non-invasive fat reduction: update on
- Current techniques. Plastic and reconstructive surgery. Global open, 6(6), e1738.
- Sclafani, A. P., Fagien, S., & Dayan, S. H. (2016). Innovations in the use of injectables: focus on poly-L-lactic acid. Journal of drugs in dermatology: JDD, 15(11), 1348-1355.
- Steiger, J. (2019). Commentary on: Safety and efficacy of a novel adipose-targeting dimeric peptide for treatment of submental fat. Aesthetic plastic surgery, 43(3), 813-814.